Friday 16 March 2012

Medical Elective- Day 20

I tried my hand at al lie-in again this morning. Made it to around 8am. I don’t understand this, I used to be able to sleep until the afternoon. I blame the morning intruding on my sleep with its sunlight and its noises (through my constantly open window). And some people feel the need to make quite a racket early in the morning. Surely that skip would function just the same whether you kick it repeatedly with your steel caps or not? But I got up at 9am, washed off the smell and then pottered over to The Other Hospital. I arrived just after 10am and felt a bit bad for being late so picked up some grapes from the market on my way in. I also got my monthly bursary through so treated myself to a Costa, so arrived with grapes and coffee which I feel had a more blasé than apologetic look about being a bit on the late side.

But still. I worked through to 3.30pm with a mere two trips to the loo. Good job I bought crackers to eat. Crackers and grapes. Nutritious. I finished the spreadsheet I was working on so felt like I had achieved something. And on a Friday, when I would usually just be bunking off. After that I head back to The Accommodation with a view to meeting Art Friend just south of the river at 6. I realised when I got home I only had 30mins to get ready. So had another bath/shower to get rid of the smell and got back on the buses. And was treated to a lovely intimate lecture on Craniofacial Development. I felt re-ignited with a love for both research and embryology. I got a proper grin on.

After that I dragged Art Friend for a pint in a ‘round the corner so it’s not too crowded on a Friday night’ pub I remembered from when I was an undergraduate. We chatted at length about our career plans (very similar) and just scheming in general. It’s great to touch base with someone who knows what you’re talking about once and a while. And then I decided, that since I had been living in Lodnon for three weeks and not touched a single take-away, tonight was the night. I have just eaten a whole chicken kebab, with chips, smothered in copious amounts of garlic sauce. They promised me no chilli but it still burnt my mouth. Stupid mouth.

I can’t think of a single deep, meaningful or interesting thing to say today. But I feel a bit better. I couldn’t stop smiling all the way back. I had started laughing out loud to myself by the time I was walking around The Hospital. But I don’t think that’s unusual around a hospital. 


No comments:

Post a Comment