Friday 23 March 2012

Medical Elective- Day 27


Not much to report today. Postgrad teaching happens on Friday mornings, scheduled from 9.30am for 2.5hours. In actuality it started about 10am and lasted for an hour at a push. But we got an interesting lecture in facial fractures.
Here are some things I learnt:

  • Ecchymosis means bruising (but makes you sound way intelligent if you say it)
  • Orbital floor fractures in children can rarely present as vasovagal attacks and unresolving nausea and vomitting
  • Ruptured globes are very rare but if a patient presents with one they will be in extreme pain and will not be able to open the eye for you to inspect, this is an opthalmological emergency
I learnt a few other things too but, I must confess, I am writing this retrospectively on The Mother's couch and I didn't bring my notebook of knowledge with me. So, after teaching, I popped back to The Hospital to visit a patient, who is doing very well, then came home and had a nap, then did the day's portrait. I decided to experiment a bit with some paints. It has sort of worked. It has definitely highlighted the fact that pictures are best done with a sketch first, rather than just stabbing wildly at the paper with a paintbrush. Watercolour is a subtle medium which demands controlled use of the white space of the paper. This is not how I use watercolour. And as such the colour tones are a bit on the um, tanned side. But layering of watercolours is a lot of fun and I've done previous portraits with this technique (but with more time and finesse) and those have worked really well.

Anyway, nuffathat. I got the bus to The Mother, bunch of daffs in hand (unfrortunately via a shoe sale) and spent a lovely evening with ma famile.




No comments:

Post a Comment